- Registered, tax exempt and PCP Certified NPO.
- Working since 1979 in health, education, poverty alleviation, water and sanitation, and infrastructure development and direct interventions.
- HANDS benefits more than 13 million people in 16703 villages in 18 districts of Sindh.
Flood Relief Efforts
(As of 4 Sept. 2010)
Shelter/Establishment of Relief Camps
HANDS has established 71 relief camps 24 in district Sukkur, 05 In Shikarpur, 10 in Kashmore & 1 in Jacobabad, 1 in Matayri, 26 in Thatta, 01 in Ghotiki 01 in Khairpur mirs and 01 in Quetta districts. Till now shelter has been provided to 187905 displaced people by floods.
Sharing out cooked and uncooked food for affected people in the seven districts Ghotki, Sukkur, Khairpur, Kandhkot, Jacobabad, Matiari and Thatta provided cooked and uncooked food to 187,905 peoples respectively, further HANDS started providing Food Ration of one month to 10,390 families in Sukkur, Shikarpur, Kashmore and Khairpur, Hyderabad, Matiari, Thatta & Quetta Districts.
- Treated approximately 70,362 OPD patients through mobile camp and Fixed Medical Camp services.
- Conducted health & hygiene sessions with the affected communities in the relief camps of Sukkur, Khairpur and Shikarpur districts.
Water And Sanitation Hygiene (WASH)
- For safe drinking water and sanitation HANDS provides water to all camps.
- 64 latrines have been constructed therefore HANDS has begun distributing kits containing essential items like buckets, soap, detergent, sanitary pads, and water purification tablets.
- Training families on effective emergency hygiene practices to reduce the risk of water-borne diseases.
Schooling in Camps
Last week, the first tent school opened up in Kashmore, Kandhkot, Shikarpur, Jacobabad, Ghotki, Sukkur, Khairpur districts.The tent school is the first step towards rebuilding the educational system from scratch.
(As of 18 Aug. 2010)
- Evacuation and Rescue Operation.
- Operating 44 relief camps in Sindh and Balochistan with shelter, food, water, medical support, and livestock services.
Location of Efforts
(As of 4 Sept. 2010)
- Rural Thatta
HANDS provides regular updated reports on its relief activities which you can find here.
HANDS Head Office
140-C, Block II, PECHS, Karachi
Ph: 021-34532804, 021-34527698
Coordinator, Emergency Response